The Rebelution has released results for a rather interesting modesty survey. The results certainly do not make something right or wrong, but it does give an idea to what the general consensus surrounding various issues regarding modesty are. Christian ladies compiled the various questions, while 1,600 Christian men gave their responses. These people were from nations all over the world, from various colleges, schooling backgrounds, and so on.
Some random results from clicking around the various categories:
- 57.5% disagree that exposing the stomach while wearing a swimsuit is okay.
- 55.1% disagree that wearing a revealing swimsuit (i.e., a bikini) with a t-shirt over it is okay.
- 48.7% agree that wearing a tight shirt underneath an open-button jacket or shirt is immodest.
- 84.3% agree that wearing jeans with words across the backside is a stumbling block.
- 60.7% agree that gauchos are modest. (I don’t even know what a “gaucho” is.)
- 76.5% agree that seeing a girl’s chest bounce while walking or running is a stumbling block.
That’s all well & good, but what I found most interesting were the results in the category concerned with makeup, jewelry, and those kinds of things. Whereas the Bible very clearly says that “modest apparel” is in direct contrast to jewelry, most Christian guys feel that jewelry is just fine!
I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. 1 Timothy 2:8-10, NKJV
How ’bout that.
Hat tip: Amy.